There are sometimes when chocolate won’t do. For those days (I like to call them my vanilla days), this soft, simple sugar cookie is the ticket.
© Hilary Browning 2013
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup (two sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 c granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 teaspoons cultured buttermilk
demerara sugar, for coating
(1) Preheat oven to 350. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
(2) Cream the butter and the sugar on medium speed, until velvety. 3-4 minutes. Scrape down the bowl.
(3) Add the egg on low speed. Scrape down the bowl and increase to medium. When the mixture resembles pudding, add the vanilla extract.
(4) Add in the flour, all at once. Beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 2-3 minutes.
(5) Add in the buttermilk, until the dough is soft, but not wet.
(6) Using a dough scoop, make round tablespoon dough balls. Roll in demerara sugar. Flatten the dough balls slightly with the palm of your hand. Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating the sheet at the half way mark.